9 Tips to Protect Against WannaCry Ransomware
A Techni-Core Engineer Insight
By now, you’ve probably heard about the WannaCry Ransomware virus sweeping the nation. We’ve created some tips to keep you safe from this nasty virus.
- Microsoft released an update on March 14th that patched the vulnerability. If your systems are all up to date then you are protected against last week’s virus. Last week’s virus exploited a vulnerability that was patched in that March update. Remember, you must reboot after installing updates for them to take effect.
- Webroot Secure Anywhere Endpoint Protection does protect against the version of the virus that spread last week however, new variants could appear at any time. Techni-Core is a Webroot Partner. If you have not installed it, call us!
- Train all staff to be vigilant and do not open unsolicited or suspicious emails.
- If you subscribe to Mimecast Email Security, consider upgrading your service to the new M2 version. M2 includes Targeted Threat Protection which protects you against phishing emails. We are a Mimecast Partner. If you want to subscribe to Targeted Threat Protection, call us!
- Advise all your staff NOT to open personal emails on their work computer. Personal emails carry a higher risk as it is not typically filtered for viruses.
- Understand that there is no such thing as a 100% guarantee you could not get infected as new variants could appear at any time. Always stay vigilant.
- Keep up to date backups and do not leave USB drives with your backups plugged in.
- If an infection occurs, shut down all systems immediately and leave them powered off. Call Techni-Core.
- IMPORTANT: This virus only affects Microsoft systems.
Always trust your instincts. If something looks suspicious, don’t click on it — contact your IT Services provider immediately. If you would like to update your security measures to any of the products discussed, fill out the form below. An engineer will contact you to discuss what is best for your company.